There has been a progression to my workouts, mindset and goals over the last 12 years. The biggest progression to my physique has been over the last 2 years. And I’m happy with it all, though I always strive to learn more, be more and improve. For me, fitness doesn’t have an “end”.
Here are the Top 10 “Staples” in my workouts that have really helped transform my physique.
1. Squats. I’m not talking about the barely going parallel crap either. I’m talking the below 90 degree, ass to the grass squats that make you work. Best overall leg movement, in my opinion. Plus, I feel like a super BOSS when the heavy weight goes on!
2. Lat Pull downs. I love these! So many variations, big results. This move has really helped shape my back and gives more of a nice “V” shape to my midsection.
3. Straight legs. These are easier on my knees than deadlifts and can be done with a regular weighted bar or the Smith machine. I prefer the Smith machine followed by dumbbells.
4. Hamstring curls. I like doing all of the machines possible for curls – laying down, sitting, upright. If there’s a good machine for hams, I’ll find it.
Next is the trifecta for building boulder shoulders: press, raise and flye… 🙂
5. Shoulder press. I alternate between the squat rack, straight bars and sitting to do presses. My shoulders have really taken off by incorporating these moves and I love it!
6. Shoulder raises. Again, variation is key. I love doing shoulder raises. As a bonus, they help build up my traps as well. Score!
7. Rear delt flyes. My favorite move for the rear delt is on the double cable row. I will do a ba-zillion sets on the cables because it’s one of my favorite moves.
8. Low cable rows. I’ll use the same double cable row for lats or the single lat row cable. Both are great but, for isolation, I’ll use the one with double handles, do one lat at a time and really squeeze those muscles during my set.
9. Tricep push/pull downs. My triceps are still a work in progress but have gotten much more defined by incorporating a variation of moves and high/low reps. I love doing push downs and pull downs versus overhead movements, due to some elbow injuries.
10. Bicep curls. Biceps are another work in progress but I love doing rope curls. I can go heavier, which makes me feel like Hercules 🙂 and it’s a little easier on my elbows and forearms than regular curls, though I do those too. Variety!
I always love feedback and new ideas, so comment below… What are YOUR favorite moves? What’s really helped ignite YOUR progress? Happy Lifting! 😀